Why is Principal Coaching so important?
We know from research that quality teachers in classrooms are the most important indicator of student achievement. Second to that is the quality of school leaders. Therefore, school leaders must have support systemically in their development if schools and school districts are going to retain them in the profession, see continued growth in teachers, and see an increase in student achievement.
Why Dr. Andy?
As a principal, Dr. Andy has led the transformation of two failing schools using his G.R.E.A.T.! Leadership Philosophy™ worked with many school leaders as a supervisor and coach, and knows the struggles that school leaders face every day.
What Others Are Saying About Dr. Andy’s Prinicpal Coaching…
“Andy has an uncanny ability to combine his rich educational leadership experience with a charismatic personality to be “real” with people. That realness allows him to have both likability and credibility. He has a positive, personal tone that motivates people to listen and learn. Andy exceeded the goals he set for himself in school and coaching satisfaction. He built strong relationships with the principals he worked with and they consistently valued his coaching.”Michael Ripski
“Andy is a very active listener and possesses a ton of emotional intelligence within his coaching. His ability to differentiate his coaching techniques to accommodate the personalities, needs, and hopes of those he coaches is a huge asset to one’s development and growth.”Krystal Allen
What can Principal Coaching with Dr. Andy look like?
Working with Dr. Andy is a partnership whose foundation is built on the needs of the leader and the needs of the school. The work is grounded in data and relies on mutual trust.
STEP 1: Status Assessment
The initial conversation with Dr. Andy will encompass:
• The vision the principal holds for him or herself and the school.
• Where the principal and the school are performing currently.
• What the principal hopes to accomplish individually and for the school.
Next, the principal will take the Emergenetics® Profile.
STEP 2: Data Collection and Analysis
Then, Dr. Andy follows these steps:
• Gathers data from stakeholders using surveys.
• Reviews the principal’s Emergenetics® Profile results and plans the debrief.
• Observes school day in action to see routines, interactions, and classroom instruction.
• Analyzes, compiles, and presents data from surveys, Emergenetics® Profile, and observation to the principal.
Next, the principal and Dr. Andy decide on 1 – 3 goals on which to focus.
Step 3: Action Planning
Next, the principal and Dr. Andy will build an action plan that is suited to him or her and the school’s needs based on the data trends. Goals may encompass the areas of:
• Interpersonal Skills / Emotional Intelligence.
• School structures and management.
• Instructional leadership.
• Student / Staff / Parent / Community Engagement.
• Improving School Climate.
Dr. Andy works with each principal to construct an individualized plan that targets school-specific problems and offers solutions.